Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Other Blogs

I was googling for melanoma blogs recently and came up with this. It's not a cancer blog but the author just happened to mention that May was "melanoma month" so it came up in my search. A few of his readers posted some poignant comments about how melanoma has affected them. I encourage you to check them out here, but I'll excerpt a few below.

Excerpts from comments posted on Laurence Simon's "This Blog is Full of Crap":
I lost my father to Melanoma 11 years ago. It still hurts. Everyone should have themselves checked on a regular basis, and if a mole is removed, make sure the lab tests it correctly. It saves a lot of pain and suffering later.
------
I just had a malignant-melanomic mole removed...
...The surgery gash is five inches long, just to yank out a 4mm-wide mole. I hate the pain, the inability to move, and the sleepless nights 'til I give up and hit the Vicodin. I'll never be able to sun myself on my stomach again because of the scar it left behind (not to mention all the other moles)...
------
I ignored all of those rules during my teens and early 20's. Six years ago I was very lucky that my doctor noticed a small black mark on my back during a routine physical. Thankfully it had clean margins, but since then I have to go back to the dermatologist every 3 months for full screens, and usually once or twice a year I have something new cut off.

No comments: