Wednesday, May 25, 2005

"I guess I'm bound to have skin cancer someday."

From "Are you safe in the sun?" in today's Journal Times Online (Racine, WI).

Excerpts:
"Even though I know about it and I'm aware about it, I still don't do anything to protect myself - which in rational thinking makes absolutely no sense," said Elizabeth Gilmore, 22, a University of Wisconsin-Parkside student and resident of the town of Paris.
"I guess I'm bound to have skin cancer someday."
"I guess it's just for appearance, want to look like everyone else."

If you want a reminder of what tanning can do, you may already carry it with you. Compare the outer surface of your arm to the inner, said Dr. Tri Nguyen, a dermatologist with Aurora Health Care in Burlington and Kenosha. On older people who have skin damage, the outer surface with more sun exposure will be more wrinkled; the inner surface will be soft and youthful, he said.


No comments: