Sunday, June 05, 2005

"Base burn"

Checkout this column in today's Westerly Sun (Rhode Island) by Kathleen Currie. Currie admits to the stupid things most of us have done in the past like getting a "base burn" at the beginning of every summer and how that now leaves her uneasy about her risk factor. She also touches on the Vitamin D hype from a couple weeks ago. I recommend reading it if you're looking for an article that covers most of the bases on melanoma.

Excerpts from the Westerly Sun:
...this year a friend of mine, who just turned 30, had a melanoma removed from her chest. The surgery left a large scar. At 33 years old, I am beginning to notice wrinkles and spots on my own skin. I know that is damage caused by the sun. I wish I could go back in time and take protection seriously. The statistics I once read and believed irrelevant to me are hitting closer to home and, yes, I am scared.

Then this from
dermatologist Mary Ann Bentz, M.D about the Vitamin D hype:

Bentz warns people about the recent news report that suggests unprotected exposure to the sun provides the body with sufficient vitamin D and may in turn prevent or even treat many cancers. "You can get all the vitamin D you need from fortified milk and multivitamins; it is not worth putting yourself at risk," says Bentz.

No comments: